Monday, September 26, 2011

Who are you?


Colossians 2:8-10

     Don’t let anyone lead you astray with empty philosophy and high-sounding nonsense that comes from human thinking and from the evil powers of this world, and not from Christ. For in Christ the fullness of God lives in a human body, and you are complete through your union with Christ.


     As a young wife and mother, I struggled in understanding who I was, apart from the roles that I fulfilled. I gave all of myself to be the best wife and mother that I could be, but among all my best efforts, I lost myself in the process. I stumbled around for many years, allowing loneliness and insecurity to dictate my self-worth and beliefs, even in the midst of serving the Lord. During that time, the root system of my relationship with the Lord was shallow and surface, so I grasped on to any new belief or philosophy that was thrown at me. I believed who others told me I should be, and it left me feeling even more lost and bewildered.

     For many years I searched and searched for fulfillment and self worth through actions and activities, only to come up short, time and time again. I served on many committees and ministries with the belief that DOING the work of the Lord would make me complete in him. It didn’t happen. At the intersection of exhaustion and frustration, I feel on my face before the Lord, seeking direction and guidance. It was there, on my face, where he did an amazing thing. He didn’t immediately give me guidance or direction, but rather just overwhelmed me with his presence. It was in those quiet, still moments where he revealed himself to me, and it was glorious. Not a word was spoken between the two of us, but as I sat humbly before him, I experienced his presence like I had never experienced before. That precious, intimate time left me longing for more and more, and soon, I found myself stealing away to spend time with him on a regular basis. I didn’t ask for anything or present any prayer requests during our private time together; I just longed to feel his presence one more time. And he was always quick to oblige.

     As I began to spend more and more time communing with him, reading his Word and listening for his voice, I started to understand some simple truths that I had spent years searching for. My worth was not in what I was doing or accomplishing, but rather in who I was through him and to him. He loves me no matter what anyone else says or feels about me, and he longs to be with me, even in all my insecurities and messed up ways. The more time I spent with him, the more I started feeling complete and whole. It was crazy! Who knew that just spending time at Jesus’ feet would bring about the fulfillment and satisfaction that I longed for my whole life? From those intimate moments, he patiently and persistently began to teach me how to take what I was learning and share it with others who were searching for the same thing. It has been a long, arduous journey, but so worth every moment.

     Today, I challenge you to stop listening to all the new philosophies and beliefs that the world attempts to throw at you, and simply go to the one who created all things. Like a perfect gentleman, he’s waiting for you to approach him. I know for a fact that you won’t be disappointed.


     Looking for completeness and wholeness? You’re prayer closet is a step away, calling your name. Will you answer the call? I double-dog dare you!


Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment