Monday, August 15, 2011

Are you ready to die?


2 Corinthians 1:20-24

     For I live in eager expectation and hope that I will never do anything that causes me shame, but that I will always be bold for Christ, as I have been in the past, and that my life will always honor Christ, whether I live or I die. For to me, living is for Christ, and dying is even better. Yet if I live, that means fruitful service for Christ. I really don’t know which is better. I’m torn between two desires. Sometimes I want to live, and sometimes I long to go and be with Christ. That would be far better for me, but it is better for you that I live.


     Paul was torn between two desires. He wanted to live and fulfill God’s purpose in his life, but he also wanted to die and go on to be with the Lord. He had such an intimate, closeness with the Lord that he wanted to be with him for eternity, but he also knew that God had placed him on the earth to spread the Gospel of Christ and touch many lost souls. So, as a man on a mission, he set aside his earthly trials and trudged forward to fulfill all that he was called to be, living in this world but with eternity on his mind.

     As Christians, we should also be torn between two desires. Deeply longing to be with Christ in eternity, but also driven to touch and transform every lost soul that’s placed in our path while we walk this earth. Even if we don’t completely understand what our ultimate plan and purpose is; we can still share God’s love and salvation each and every day, if we will just be obedient and bold.

     Most of us really don’t ever want to die. Have you ever thought about that? We have become comfortable here on earth, trying to create our own little heaven right here. We have our friends, family and possessions, and even though we have to suffer through some trials, stresses, inconveniences and sickness, we would rather stay here then to go on to our eternal reward. We don’t comprehend that as Christians, dying is more beneficial than living, which means that we’ve placed more emphasis on ourselves and our own little world than we have on our God-given purpose and plan. In reality, if we’re not ready to die, then we’re not really ready to live. I want you to understand what I’m trying to say. If we’re not ready to give up our desires and die to ourselves in order to serve Christ, then we will never truly understand what it means to live. It’s only when we take our focus off of ourselves and place it on others that we will ever understand what the true meaning of life is.


     When was the last time that you thought about eternity and where you will spend it? Do you live your life with heaven as your ultimate goal? Do you see your life on earth as fulfilling a mission? Today, ask God to reveal what His mission and plan is for your life.  Take active steps to listen for His answer. It may come through a still, small voice or through a series of events that may seem like a coincidence. Attempt to be acutely aware of His communication and presence with you.


Have a great day!

    

No comments:

Post a Comment