Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Don't worry about it!


Philippians 4:6-7

     Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. If you do this, you will experience God’s peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.


     Worry is probably the number one issue plaguing Christians, in today’s society. It’s obviously not a new problem, since Paul is addressing the same issue, in this portion of scripture. It’s one of the oldest tricks that Satan uses to try to diminish our faith and trust in Jesus Christ.

     The more advanced society becomes, the more independent human beings become. Due to that independence, we attempt to solve all of our own problems and situations, often times without ever consulting the Lord, unless absolutely necessary. This is in direct opposition to what we are commanded in scripture. Take a moment to re-read the verse above. We are to pray about EVERYTHING, not just the things that we can’t handle on our own.

     For many years, I would worry about everything. I would lay awake at night trying to figure out, not only my own problems, but everyone else’s too! And I worried about crazy things like: what if the house would catch on fire, how would I rescue all of my children? What if something would happen to my husband at work (he is a firefighter), how would I go on without him? Not only did worry rob me of joy and happiness in life, it also caused major physical issues with my health.

     I had to learn how to move past the fear and worry, simply for my own sanity’s sake! I sought the Lord diligently for a solution to this problem. It didn’t happen overnight, but over time deliverance did come. It came in the form of a “turn off button.” Not a literal one, but an imaginary one in my mind. When I would lay in bed at night, instead of trying to solve all the world’s problems, I would have to picture a blank, empty room. It was completely bare, no pictures or furniture of any sort. And I would just focus on this blank room. Before I knew it, I would relax and fall asleep. During the same period of time in my life, I also began to pray and ask the Lord to take care of what I thought were issues in my life. During my prayer time, I would envision myself laying my problems at the feet of Jesus, then turning and walking away. Slowly but surely, it began to work. I found that I was worrying less and taking it the Lord much more quickly than I had before. Over time, I also noticed and rejoiced that the Lord was taking care of all my worries and fears. I focused on what we did have rather than what I felt we were doing without. It was amazing to see that there was always food on the table, clothes on our back and a roof over our head.

     I also constantly reminded myself of another scripture found in Matthew 6:34 which reads, “Don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today.”

     When you begin to just focus on today, not only do you enjoy the moment, but you find that the Lord’s peace begins to wash over you like a warm, summer shower. He honors our faith and trust in Him. And when we take that first step towards Him, He is quick to rush to our rescue. Simply trust Him and thank Him for today!

     What are you worrying about today? Does it rob you of sleep and enjoyment of life? If the Lord cares for the birds of the air and gives them food to eat, do you not think that He cares for you? Picture yourself laying your worries and issues at Jesus’ feet, then turning and walking away. Allow Him to solve your problems any way He sees fit. Trust Him that He has your best interest at heart. Resolve to put fear and pride aside and simply relax in His arms today, not giving one thought to tomorrow. Seize today and enjoy it!



Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment