Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Did you hear that?


Isaiah 40:31

     They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. They shall mount up on wings as eagles. They shall run and not grow weary. They shall walk and not faint.


     Many years ago, while I was attending Bible College, I went through a very difficult time  where I experienced many heartaches and disappointments. Being very young in both my age and my walk with the Lord, these experiences brought me to a crossroads in my life. Disillusioned with those who labeled themselves as “Christians” and with personal relationships in general, I surrendered myself to a life of loneliness and seclusion, building walls around my heart in an attempt to preserve the little piece that was left.

     My broken heart and spirit left me in a state of confusion and weakness, almost zombie-like. It was a very dark period in my life, filled with feelings of rejection and betrayal which caused me to cry out to the only stable presence I had; God! I spent night after night on my face before the Lord, in the college chapel. It became my secret hiding place; the only place where I felt wanted and loved.

     Due to being such a new, young Christian, I had never really experienced hearing the voice of the Lord speaking to me. I certainly didn’t know what to listen for or what to expect. At that point, I didn’t have anyone close enough who I felt comfortable asking such questions, so I just plugged along on my own; just me and God. It was during that time that some amazing things began to happen.

     I entered my daily chapel class one day, and listened as the speaker brought forth the Word of God. Nothing out of the ordinary happened, but he read a scripture that struck me in a profound way. That scripture happened to be Isaiah 40:31. I had never read or heard that scripture before and it brought a small glimmer of hope to my soul. Within a matter of days, that scripture began to pop-up over and over again. A professor would open his class with a reading of that scripture, preachers would preach about it in church services, songs would ring out those words in youth group services. Literally, everywhere I went, that specific scripture would flash before me, in one way or another.

     At first I thought it was a strange coincidence, but after a few days I began to realize that God was trying to speak to me. The awesome God of the universe was speaking to a broken-hearted, young woman on a small, college campus somewhere in the middle of small town America. It was a humbling experience.

     Beyond the fact that God had decided to speak to me, the words that he began to etch in my spirit were life-giving and renewing. If I would just wait on him, he would renew my body and soul. I dwelled on those words, day and night, trying to understand what it meant to truly wait on him. As days turned into weeks, I began to feel strength and hope arise in me, once more. And within months, as my relationship with the Lord grew stronger and deeper, he brought about the greatest relationship I would ever have with another human being, and that being my wonderful husband. (It took me quite a while to let him past those walls I had built around my heart though, but that story is meant for another time.)

     Isaiah 40:31 continues to be one of my favorite scriptures, and each time I feel drained and weakened by the trials and tribulations of this life, I am once again reminded of the truth of his Word. I am then transported back to a time where an awesome, loving God took the time to speak to an insecure, hurting, young woman and bring hope and healing. If he did it then, then I know he will do it again!


     Are you feeling weak, tired and drained by the circumstances of life? Find your secret hiding place with the Lord, away from the noise and confusion around you. As you make it a priority to spend time with God, you will begin to hear him speak to you. Listen for you own personal scripture from him. He’s waiting to see how desperate you are for him. Make today the day you run to him!


Have a great day!

    

No comments:

Post a Comment