Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Get over it!

Colossians 3:13-14

     You must make allowance for each other’s faults and forgive the person who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others. And the most important piece of clothing you must wear is love. Love is what binds us together in perfect harmony.


     A few years ago, I was deeply hurt by someone that I held in great esteem. This other person didn’t even realize that they had offended and hurt me. I carried around the pain and ill effects of unforgiveness and bitterness for quite some time. This particular offense had me trapped in an angry, depressing dungeon, consuming my every thought and action, while the other person appeared to be joyful and unassuming of the pain they had inflicted upon me.

     In my mind, I knew I was carrying a load that I was not meant to carry, but I struggled with how to lay it down and move forward. Many times I would attempt to drop it at the foot of the cross, and allow Jesus to heal my troubled heart, but would soon find myself picking it up again.  Weeks and months passed and I allowed the enemy to fill my mind with false realities of myself and my calling. I soon became a crumbled mess functioning strictly off of emotions and feelings. It’s absolutely crazy how one offense threw me totally off track and rendered me absolutely useless. I was so bound up in my supposed injustice that God was unable to move me forward in his plan and purpose.

     That’s exactly how Satan works; if he can’t tempt us to slip up with the obvious “big” sins, then he will attempt to render us useless by reminding us of other’s offenses against us. Our human nature falls for that one nearly every time, and we tend to dwell on thoughts of personal injustice and unmet needs, causing our focus to be shifted onto ourselves rather than on the needs of others.

     I will admit that there’s not an instant answer in resolving hurts and offenses caused by others. Freedom can only come through a humble heart, diligently seeking to move past the offense, while covering the offender in a constant prayer of blessing. Yes, I know what you’re thinking; “Pray blessings over the person that offended me?”  That’s exactly what I said. The Bible commands us to “pray for those who spitefully use us.” That didn’t come from me, but directly from the Word of God. So, if we are to be true disciples of Christ, then not only do we need to believe every word written in the Bible, but we must act upon them, also! It’s only when we step out in faith and act upon the Word of God that he will bring about deliverance and freedom in our lives.


     Are you holding on to some hurts and offenses? Take some time today and each day after to begin to pray for the people that have caused those hurts. Keep praying for them until you feel deliverance and freedom. It may take a few weeks or it may take months or years. Don’t give up until you see and feel the victory! Don’t allow Satan to steal your joy any longer!


Have a great day!

    

    

No comments:

Post a Comment